So you have picked the cigar lover out of the proverbial “hat” this year, but you don’t know where to begin. Sweetness. We didn’t write this article for nothing. This my friend, is dedicated to the one we love: you. We will just flat out TELL you what they’ll love, so you can stop guessin’ and stressin’. They will love cigar accessories, which is why we’re writing this Holiday Cigar Accessories Buying Guide.
Know why? Because they already HAVE a humidor. And you have NO IDEA how to choose cigars. Or what they like in their flavor profiles. AND because even if they HAVE some of these things, they are so GOSH DARN EASY TO LOSE, that they’ll absolutely need a backup or, give them a second…now they need one.
So let’s help you pick one. Relax, the stress is almost over! There’s three categories in accessories: cigar cutters, lighters and ashtrays. Let’s say four if you want to include the miscellaneous category.
Cutters are cool because there are lots of different ways to cut cigars. So even if they have one, it’s fun to choose a unique one they might not have tried! Here’s some cigar cutter tips you might not have thought about:
- Most common item for a cigar smoker to lose
- Always need more, half of them are practically disposable after the blade dulls
- If looking at a guillotine cutter, a dual blade is best
- Guillotine is the most common preference
- The v-cut cutter is fun and different, makes your gift stand out
So go ahead, click on our “Cigar Cutters” category and start looking. First thing is first, figure out your budget. That will make the difference if you choose a standard, black plastic cutter, or a carbon fiber double blade “brand name” cutter. They’re all sharp, they all work well, but your budget will decide where in the spectrum you need to shop. Or, move on to “Cigar Lighters!”
Cigar lighters are hilarious because they go from functional to asinine in a blink of an eye. They make super serious lighters, and they make ridiculous novelty lighters, such as a Toothbrush Holder Lighter (seriously!).
Cigar torch flame lighters are all going to work, but you can go from a high end lighter with a built-in cutter (always fun and functional), to novelty dice that shoot out a torch, depending on the sense of humor of the recipient. So go for it! Click on the “Lighters” category and see what we’ve got. We actually have so many, that we started another site called BuyLighters.com. If you don’t find what you’re looking for at Cheaphumidors.com, hop on over to Buylighters.com, because there’s another 300 or so to tickle your funny bone. Here’s some tips on lighters that you might not know:
- Most common preference is a single flame
- Avoid soft flame lighters. They’ll work, but take FOREVER to light a cigar and are really more for pipes and cigarettes. Torch lighters are preferred for cigars
- Triple flame and larger are better for larger ring gauge cigars
- Don’t forget the butane, because it makes a great stocking stuffer and they always need it!
- Table Lighters make an awesome gift/statement piece
- Most stolen cigar accessory…perhaps accidentally, but that’s why they make such an animal as a lighter leash, believe it or not. They wouldn’t make that if it weren’t a real problem.
Cigar ashtrays make a great gift because they aren’t what you think…they’re GORGEOUS. We know, you were thinking 1970’s black plastic bingo-lounge ashtray. The designers put so much work into making cool designs, specifically for cigars. They have glass/crystal ashtrays with etching and designs. They have party ashtrays for the guys that think they’re super popular. Pewter ones that weigh 10 lbs so they’re never blown over when brought outside. That’s just the beginning. They have Stinky ashtrays (super popular brand) in every rainbow color you could think of! You know, when you’re trying to match their man-cave. Or when trying to match their favorite sports team. Here’s some gift giving tips for ashtrays:
- Ashtrays always seem to be forgotten during gift giving time
- If you think they might have one for inside, purchase a cigar ashtray for their CAR, or an OUTDOOR ashtray
- Cigar ashtrays have a larger bowl for ash, and larger rests for cigars than cigarette ashtrays
- Perfect gift for someone if you don’t know their cigar, lighter, or cutter preference
- Outdoor ashtrays (Stinky) are great for people who have lots of cigar smoking friends
- The Stinky Cigar Floor Standing Ashtray makes an amazing statement piece
We did mention there would be a miscellaneous category, right? You’re going to love this idea. Do you have to buy for “the guy who has everything?” Problem solved.
They don’t have this, because we’re pretty sure we just invented it: A Personalized Cigar Band Shadow Box. Have to see it to believe how badass it is? Check out our pictures. So basically, every cigar he smokes (and his buddies that are visiting, smoke) can have the band popped off and collected into a shadow box with HIS NAME on it!
Imagine the pride as he drops them in the top and works his way to fulfillment. He’ll be thinking of YOU each time he slides open the top, and drops in his newest stick’s label. A collection that doesn’t involve Barbies, shoes or Leggos…and all the sudden, he’s a MAN again. He can hang his new shadow box in his living area, and it’ll be the perfect conversation starter on which cigars are the most delicious and have the coolest looking bands.
See, we’ve got your back. We’re just BRIMMING with good ideas. And this Cigar Accessories Buying Guide is just part two of our Holiday Buying Guide series
Stay tuned for part two, Holiday Humidor Buying GuideHoliday Cigar Accessories Buying Guide by David Sabot